Subject: Re: M3 D/S
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:26:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Group -

Any M below sn/965XXX has a different winder head than those built later and
is considerably less reliable, so I hear.  You also have the issue of RF
desilvering and its attendant repair.  I also understand there are a number
of othe internal parts that wear more quickly and are likely to require
replacement soon after you start to use the camera.  I have been admonished
by my trusted guru to save my bucks and buy later bodies.  While initial
cost may be higher, replacement of the aformentioned parts will make the
earlier body more expensive in the end.

Just my 2c worth

Curt

>Just like Dave, I am using this weekend to decide about an eventual camera
>buy. I am thinking of a M3, that I can get for $350. I have checked the
>camera, and it is OK technically. The exterior is a "user".
>The thing that makes me hesitate, is that it is one of the last D/S
>variants, with the old shutter times.
>Are there any D/S users  here, who would like to comment how these old M3:s
>are in practical use, compared to the later ones? One thing, that comes to
>my mind, is that the MR-meter cannot be used. Are there any other
>disadvantages to consider?
>Regards, Hans
>Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
>Home: http://www.komvux.mark.se/hp635.htm

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Birding with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club or
             Women Outdoors at http://members.aol.com/womenout/index.htm

Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood