Subject: Re: Elmarit or Summicron 90mm
From: Gerard Captijn <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:30:41 +0200

At 04:13 PM 21/07/1997 +0200, you wrote:

>I have been using the Summicron 2/90 for few years. I am perfectly
>satisfied with it regarding all its optical and mechanical qualities.
>But, looking back to these years of shooting, I realized that I very
>seldom used it at f2 (focusing the 90 in very low light is not so easy
>through the M6 finder): a few wedding close-ups (but almost all my
>"weddingable" friends have done it now, I am waiting for divorces...), and
>some theatre shots.
>
>I find now that the main drawbacks of this lens are its weight an length,
>not fitted imho with the usual weigth and size of M systems, nor with my
>weak shoulders (I love to travel light, m6+2/35+90+Metz+few films).
>
>My question is, in addition to the original post:
>How do the optical qualities of the Elmarit compare to the Summicron,
>especialy at F2.8 and F5.6/8 ?
>
>Thanks for your advices,
>
>----
>Francois Jouve (Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr)
>Centre de Math. Appliquees, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau (France)

Fran=E7ois (hopefully the "C" cedille will make it through the net),

Could you shed some light on the lenstests of Chasseurs d'Images? What are
their charts showing: contrast? resolution? A combination of both? How do
they perform their tests? What equipment do they use? Any information that
you can provide will be highly appreciated!

Answering your Elmarit-M versus Summicron question is easy: buy the
Elmarit-M. Better images at any aperture and at any distance setting. The
Elmarit-M is one of the better Leica lenses. The Summicron one of the worse
(relative to other Leica glass, not relative to other manufacturers glass). =
=20

Gerard Captijn=20