Subject: Re: Elmarit or Summicron 90mm
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:20:03 -0700

> Answering your Elmarit-M versus Summicron question is easy: buy the
> Elmarit-M. Better images at any aperture and at any distance setting. The
> Elmarit-M is one of the better Leica lenses. The Summicron one of the
worse
> (relative to other Leica glass, not relative to other manufacturers
glass).

> Gerard Captijn

Funny, by far my worst lens is the 135mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. In fact, it so
"Un-Leica-Like" in its lack of resolution that I sometimes wonder if
something is wrong. It looked brand new when I bought it used and still
looks great with no drops or other damage. Has anyone else had problems
with this lens?

Now in defense of the mighty SUMMICRON:

I've used the 90mm Summicron since picking up a used SOOZI w/ bayonet
adapter from Roger Pelham at Malone's Camera in Dayton, Ohio in 1969. It is
one of the original few hundred Summicron 90mm lenses that Leica made and
is an absolutely fantastic performer! I've used it wide open for theater
photography and can count every hair. That lens is so fine, that just the
act of focusing  it initiates an attitude in my mind toward sharpness and
detail that elevates the way I see things.

The Elmarit is a fine lens, too, with the added advantage of a removable
head that can be used with the Visoflex for closeup work. I typically use
it at f/16 for depth of field up close and love both the fine detail and
smooth gradations in contrast. I think it is a fine landscape lens, too,
and usually carry it more often than the Summicron with my M6. It weighs
much less. Besides, who needs f/2 for landscapes?

The Tele-Elmarit makes a classic Leica package on an M body - very compact
and handy. I'm not sure of performance comparison, but, among other things,
have used it for candid color portraits at family Christmas parties, etc
with bounce flash, usually around f/5.6. Excellent! People often ask where
I get such good color processing.

The 90 which has surprised me the most is a recent addition to my handy CL
that is always in the car or over my shoulder when just wandering around.
That little f/4 Elmar-C is an optical wonder. I remember sometimes being
disappointed w/ an old f/4 Elmar 90mm many years ago, before trading it for
the
SOOZI. But the Elmar-C is amazing! I occasionally have trouble focusing the
CL in dim light, but otherwise that little lens sees better than I do.
Along with the 40mm Summicron-C, the package is both continually with me
and is a continual delight. IMHO, the CL with its two lenses is one of the
most underrated setups in the entire Leica line.

Gary Todoroff