Subject: Re: fotomazin, R8 etc.
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:33:46 CDT

Kari,

>Well, if that's what you want why don't you just get the free bochures
>for R8 And RTS III and compare the specks instead of paying money on a
>direct data comparison in a magazine? The point is that the testing

I didn't bring up the magazine tests, I was responding to them.  I don't
buy them for the tests (matter of fact I buy darn few of them)- I did get
the brochures - both from Leica and Contax.  I have handled the cameras
in the stores.

>people
>in reputable magazines put in some serious experience in evaluating
>the usefulness, durability  etc. of the features in the camera. You

I only wish they could do some kind of durability test - I guess if we
wait a few years  the cameras will speak for themselves, but by then it
may be a bet late.  This is one of the reasons I value Ted's comments so
much, from a durability standpoint he puts his equipment through more in
a few months than I will in several years.

>Somehow I cannot fail to notice that people get quite defensive about
>R8 once its obvious shortcomings are discussed. It is simply not state
>of the art, hence it (the body, not the lenses) cannot be compared
>with F5

I'm not defensive, I just like the camera, and I don't care if it is
"state of the art" or not. It is all the "art" that I need.

>they wanted. R lives and dies by the glass, that's it.

What's wrong with that.

>PS: BTW I don't have a single electronic body so in my collection of
>three
>SLRs & a M. I.e. Leica's approach appeals to me but one has to be
>honest
>about it.

Good for you, I'm glad you are so honest <gr>!  Have a good day,

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK