Subject: Re: M use
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:21:50 -0700

On 22 Jul 97,  Henning J. Wulff wrote:

Snip>

>I have since
> seen the new version of the hood, but find that in addition to being very
> inexpensive, the rubber hood has cured the lens of its most serious
> performance defect - the bad flair at critical angles at apertures around
> 5.6. This flair is exacerbated by the viewfinder cutout in the Leica made
> hood.

Interesting, Henning. I have a recent production model of the 35/1.4 ASPH
M and other than having to remember what to align before rotating to
properly secure the darn thing, I've not noticed a flare problem at arounf
f 5.6. I bought the lens mainly for less flare than the 35/2 Summicron and
have been pleased with its lack of flare. I do lots of shooting direct
into the Arizona sun and flare is a way of life.

Must admit though, the cut out on the hood is stupid (the hood, Ted, not
you!). I'm as bothered by the hood with the cutout in the hood as I would
be without the cutout. It seems to me that an M photographer has to learn
to accept the lens in the viewfinder as the "price of admission". One
learns to ignore it.

Just think - you can rotate the hood 180 degrees and lock it properly to
account for the sun when it is coming in from the side with the cutout.
3 out of 4 directions covered ain't bad, though!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      The only thing that hurts more than paying income tax
      is not having to pay income tax.