Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:12:30 -0700

At 09:02 PM 7/22/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Though I'm not disagreeing with you, Jim, my own case seems a bit
>different. If I take a strange anything (I know, you guys are thinking,
>woman, whereas I truly mean mainly devices such as cameras) and work with
>it in a concentrated way for a varying period of time, I can and do become
>accustomed to it and downright fond of it. My fingers and reflexes (here
>we go again) become trained in the way they must go and it soon becomes
>habit and comfortable.
>
>That said, I can and have become comfortable with whatever I have used.
>I'm not one of those that believes that "everyone has a talent, if we can
>just find it"! I haven't a talent (talent not liking) in my body and my
>photography shows it. It, however, pleases me and dutifully records what I
>want to record, particularly in the field of natural history.
>
>Lastly, like it or not, technology sells! Most buyers truly believe that
>because the photo credits show Canon and Nikon as super predominant, they
>will buy same. After all, they are just as creative as the notable
>photographers whose work they see. Wrong!
>--
>Roger Beamon

I agree Roger. But there are things that, for some reason, my brain will
not adapt to. I'm sure it's some pre-conceived notion that keeps me from
adapting to certain things. My psyche. One is Nikon cameras. I just don't
feel like the camera and I have anything in common and I can never feel at
ease using one. Maybe I was scared by one when I was younger. If I had to
buy a whiz-bang-auto-everything camera, it would be a Minolta or Canon. I
haven't used my Alpa 10d in ten years. A few months ago, I dug it out, put
in a battery and shot some frames. It's as if I never stopped using it. And
an Alpa is bas-akwards to normal cameras. So I (and probably most others)
can indeed adapt to the idiosyncracies of a device and become fond of it.
Like the Alpa. But sometimes, it just doesn't gell. There is a power within
that controls this feeling. I don't know where it comes from. I just know
it's there.

Jim