Subject: Re: Bolex Banterings
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:33:03 -0700

> >In another purchase (an M3), the seller threw in a Bolex 8mm P1 "Zoom
> >Reflex", a very pretty camera outfit on my display shelf w/ Bethiot
> >Pan-Cinor zoom lens. I still have it for when Steven Spielberg calls.
> >
> >Gary Todoroff
> >
> Lovely! I suspect that the movie camera will sit high on a shelf, only to
be
> pulled down when a guest stares at it. Question for you: are the lenses
> supposed to focus? I cannot figure that one out. They have a DOF scale
that
> doesn't seem to jive with the focus scale. Any info would be helpful.
> Private if anyone objects to the topic.
>
> Ben W. Holmes

How did you know I'd have to reach up to the top shelf to check out the
lens focus? The next shelf down has a pretty matched Zeiss Contaflex and
Contina with identical Pantar 45mm lenses - kind of an early 60's gentleman
and lady. Below that is the Leica screw mount collection spanning about 25
years of various bodies and lenses, including a Sears Tower Leica copy - an
interesting combination of screw mount style rangefinder, but with M3 style
winder.

Thanks to a LUG lead to Stephen Gandy's web site and his very friendly
e-mail reply, I discovered that my Tower is a model 35.

The Bolex Pan-Cinor zooms with a lever at the bottom of the lens and
focuses by turning the lens cylinder that takes up the front one inch of
about a four inch long lens - very precisely, too, with a diagonal
split-focus line across the entire frame of the viewfinder.

Oh well, back to the top shelf with the movie camera until Sylvester
Stallone wants another Rocky sequel.

Gary