Subject: Re: M use
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:49:55 CDT

Shawn,

>the photographs they are used for.  Of course many people are avid
>fans
>of first-class SLRs like the R8 (although there don't seem to be any
>on
>the LUG),

Hey where have you been???  You must not have read any posts by Ted
Grant.  I recently bought one, and really like it, and I think there must
be some 6 or 8 others that have them.  Many of us also have M cameras.

>many extra features and dead weight are tacked onto SLRs like my EOS

Yes, this is why I changed from Nikon SLRs back to Leica SLRs.  I don't
like computers with lenses attached, although many do.

>gear.  The M6 is a study in how little assistance a talented
>photographer
>needs to make great photos.  It has gotten me out of the bad habit of
>relying on automation and reminded me of the beauty of photography as
>it
>was meant to be.

I don't know if you are familiar with the R series of Leica SLRs
(especially the non-electronic R6 series).  Although the later cameras in
the series, R7 and R8, have more automation that you can use, they all
are essentially pretty easy to use.  The main difference between the R
and M cameras for me (other than macro and tele lenses) is the exposure
system.  You can use full manual just like the M, or use integrated or
spot exposure.  The R8 also has matrix metering if you want to use it.
With the R8 you also can use any of the three metering systems.

With the R8 I leave my hand meters at home.  It is nice to be able to
spot meter without needing a hand meter.  The 7mm spot covers what??  4-5
% whereas the M6 meter covers about 33% of the picture.

I usually use aperture perferred with integrated or spot, or both,
metering - or manual with integrated or spot.  When lazy I put it on
aperture perferred.

Real lazy, put it on program and matrix metering - you have an expensive
P&S.

When using my R8 I don't feel I am any less a photographer (to whatever
extend that I am, which is highly debateable) than when I use my M6.

Just my 2 cents.  Sorry at night I tend to run on.

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK