Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 Jul 97 11:13:48 EDT

David W. Almy,

    >>Does it compare favorably against the......100 Macro APO......curious
about<<
                          >>performance for those two lenses wide open<<

First & foremost, I bought my 70-180 APO-Elmarit before I read any tests; in my
judgement ( based on day-day shooting ), it's as good, if not better, than any
of
my fixed focal lengths. It's become my mainstay combo ( R8/70-180 ) for a lot of

my photography.

Per the BAS reports, performance ( sharpness & contrast ) at f2.8 should be
quite similar between the APO-Macro & the APO-zoom. Per a "Chasseur d' Images"
report, performance ( they only test for sharpness ) is awesome from f2.8 thru
f8; it only shows a slight drop in edge performance at f2.8.

In addition, the build quality of the 70-180 APO Elmarit is great; everything
from the focusing ring ( precise/no play ) to the rotating tripod mount speak to
quality!

In summary, if you can afford it, I doubt if there's another optic that can
compare ;~)!
Sorry for the belated response!

Tom D.