Subject: Re: Collapsible Summicron 50 (M3 D/S)
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 06:05:45 +0800 (SGT)

>There is also an early collapsible 50 mm Summicron with this camera, that I
>can get very cheap. There has not been much talk about this lens on the
>LUG. I have checked Lager, and he says that there might be differences
>between the front lenses compared with the rigid Summicron. But he does not
>know for sure, as Leica officially never said there was any differences.
>But my question is simpler: Is there anyone on the LUG who have used this
>lens, and is it as good as the rigid Summicron? I think it should be a
>better collapsible 50 mm lens than the old Elmar, and if it is good, it is
>a cheap alternative for me, compared to the new Elmar.

I have used the collapsible 50 summicron and it is a fine lens which gives a
certain glow to the images.  I have not noticed any significant difference
in sharpness between it and my latest 50 summicron (rigid).   I kept the
latter lens and traded the collapsible one in for a 50 Elmar 2.8 (probably a
1958 version).  I like the images the Elmars give me.  My favourite 90mm
lens is a 90 Elmar-M collapsible.

Dan K.