Subject: Re: R 9 Suggestion
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 00:11:45 +0100 (BST)

At 15:57 26/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>

> I don't see why. If 20% of the light passes through the existing SL mirror
> and is measured by the ttl metering, proportionally more light would pass
> through a stationary pellicle mirror, so all that would be needed for that
> ttl metering to function would be the appropriate recalibration of the
> metering sensitivity to allow for the more transparent mirror. (Or even >
that crude device- altering the ISO setting!)

>The secondary mirror is between the pellicle and the shutter. It would
>have to be removed in the course of the hypothetical installation of the
>stationary mirror.  Otherwise it would prevent light from reaching the
>film.

But why doesn't it prevent light from reaching the film in the SL as it is?
Probably, it moves out of the way when the shutter is fired. Maybe its
linked to the main mirror and they both move together. If so, then adapting
a real SL might be impossible- not that I think anyone is seriously
suggesting that. With a pellicle mirror SLR camera such as the EOS RT, when
you fire the shutter, the mirror stays put, but the metering sensor or
secondary mirror- I think it's a mirror, moves out of the way. There is even
a special setting on the RT to allow you to move the metering bits out of
the way with first pressure on the shutter release, so that when you
actually fire the camera, nothing at all moves except the shutter. This
makes it about as quick to respond as a rangefinder as far as I can tell,
and nearly as quiet.

>By the time we get to relocating the cell from the bottom of the
>body into the prism, I'd guess we're up to the price of an R9.

The "R9 Stealth SLR" (as I will now call it ;-}) is a good idea; it could
have a stationary pellicle mirror and a moving meter mirror and be only a
little louder than the M6, as the RT is. The RT is quite a camera, and
(apparently) a lot quieter than the EOS 1N RS. It certainly is in the same
league as the M6- I've taken hand-held shots with an RT and the subject (a
friend, five or six feet across the room) wasn't aware that I took a whole
roll of film, she thought I only took one or two shots. It's not exactly
silent, but it makes a rather dull sound that isn't very noticeable.

Joe Berenbaum