Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:07:10 -0800

Willem-Jan Markerink wrote:

>I might have asked this before, but don't think I saw a confirmation:
>Does the 70-180 still need focus correction for infrared film, or is
>it a true APO in this respect too, just like all other Leica APO primes?
>Does it show a red dot on the DOF scale, or is this mentioned in the
>manual?

Apo correction does not imply that refocussing for infrared is superfluous.
It is unlikely that even if the 70-180 were a true apochromat for all focal
lengths, one of the three correction points would lie in the infrared; and
besides, which wavelength in the infrared is it you want the best
correction for - it extends quite a way. It might need very little
refocussing for most infrared photography, but the Apo designation goes not
guarantee it.

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com