Subject: Re: Subject matter, anti-matter, gibberish and the Leitz car
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

>All this because I really don't believe in self-censorship in a group
>like this. Never seen it work. The next step would be actual moderator
>i.e. dictator.

The 'next step' is for someone to gather the nerve to ask everyone to
consider the value of what they're posting. Since I took that step, we've
had an outpouring of what amounts to conspiracy theorism.

1: Is the group capable of self policing?

Obviously, it is. I've seen it work; here. For the most part, participation
here is freeform; without the slightest hint of judgemental
authoritarianism. No one gets to call themselves the local dictator and no
one gets to play the role. We already are self policed. Either that or we
have no need for a police figurehead.

2: Is this group capable of intelligent conversation?

Obviously, it is.

3: Is this group capable of rational consideration of constructive criticism?

Well, is it? I'm starting to wonder.

4: Is this group capable of way-far, much more useless waste of bandwidth
than interesting conversation?

You tell me. I've already made my position clear.

I didn't ask for a dictator and I absolutely don't want to be perceived as
vying for that position. I didn't ask for censorship. I didn't ask anyone
to stop, leave or be quiet.

I did ask a group of intelligent individuals if we could, please, have a
slightly higher level of conversation. I did think that alot of what I was
reading was plainly idiotic (and I _was using my delete button on far over
half of what I'd been receiving). I do believe that, as a group, we're
capable of far better.

Ironically (and IMO), _this thread is now more a waste than not.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez