Subject: Light through the R viewfinder
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 14:40:32 -0700

At 10:47 AM 7/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On 27 Jul 97,  Kari Eloranta wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> About pellicle mirrors: you always loose in finder brightness -
>
>But veeerry little. See Markerink's post earlier today.
>
><snip>
>
>> One more aspect is that depending on lightning conditions a finder
>> may leak light into the mirror chamber. Mirror in the up-position
>> blocks light quite well as we all know ;-).
>
>Don't know how Canon has dealt with this possibility, do you W-J? Suffice
>to say, conventional SLRs have this potential problem also. I end up
>scratching my glasses because of scrunching the viewfinder so tightly to
>them to both see the whole field of view and to guard against the light
>entrance.
>--
>Roger Beamon

Light leaking through the viewfinder, ie; direct sunlight in the
viewfinder, your head removed, camera on a tripod, gives a meter reading
error. And if using the camera (obviously not the R6 or R6.2) on automatic,
this will cause an error. Ergo, the eyepiece shutter. The mirror does a
good job of blocking viewfinder light during the exposure. It is light
tight. I have no clue as to why the R6 and R6.2 have the eyepiece shutter.
I suspect it was more work to leave it out, plug the holes, than to just
leave it in.

Roger... you needn't scratch your glasses.

Jim