Subject: Re: M3DS
From: David Stedman <DSTEDM@halcyon.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:25:18 -0700

John Buford wrote:

> Dear Hans:
>         IMHO the only reason to think twice about about an M3DS for $350 is an
> M6 for $400.  The M3DS is a fine work horse of a camera.  A precision
> instrument.  The Mr meter will work properly, the meter is not click
> stop, so it will just line up between the shutter speeds numbers etched
> on the scale.  And still give you accurate readings, or you could just
> find one of the older meters marked with the old style ahutter speeds.
> I happen to prefer the M3DS because you do not have to remove the camera
> from your eye to advance the film, (which ever eye you prefer to use).
> And it has the an almost lifesize viewfinder (the largest in any Leica
> Rangefinder) that allows you to shoot with both eyes open.  Yes Virignia
> it is even larger than the M6J.  I can not think of any reason not to
> buy a nice condition M3DS.  I have a fairly old one 1954 i think I love
> this camera and i take it everywhere.  It is fitted with a Canon 50mm
> F1.2 LTM, this is a good available darkness combination.
>
> HTH
> John

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto.

I purchased my DS M3 new in 1957, and still like it the best of ALL M
bodies.  At the risk of being slammed by all of you M6 folks, I
purchased a new M6 last year, and returned it to the dealer for a refund
a few days later.  I just like my DS M3 better, sounds better, better
viewfinder and on and on.

PS I really do like my R8, nearly as good as my SL2 MOT.

Dave Stedman