Subject: Re: DR Summicron owners-help!
From: David Stedman <DSTEDM@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:25:32 -0700

Paul Schliesser wrote:

> Dear DR Summicron owners,
>
> I would appreciate your help. I'd like to come up with a guide for
> identifying potential DR Summicron/rangefinder eyes/M-body
> incompatabilities, and identifying the approximate serial number ranges
> of variations in this lens.
>
> I would appreciate it if any DR owners would privatly email me with the
> following info:
>
> The approximate serial number of lens.
>
> Is it marked 5cm or 50mm?
>
> Do you use the close-focusing oculars ("eyes") with your lens? Are they
> early or late eyes?
> (Early eyes have "E. LEITZ WETZLAR" in block letters engraved on the
> front, enclosed in a polygonal shape. Late lenses have "Leitz" in script,
> "WETZLAR" in block letters, and no enclosing shape.)
>
> Which bodies does the lens work with? Which bodies cause problems? Do
> both normal and near ranges work?
>
> The first time, did you need to use more force than necessary to get the
> lens to work on a particular body? (Please don't try to force a lens on
> your camera, if it doesn't want to go!)
>
> Are there reproduction ratios above the distance scale in the near-focus
> range?
> (These are very small, sideways numbers along the near-range portion of
> the scale; on my lens, they run from 1:15 to 1:7.5.)
>
> Is the focusing scale in both feet and meters, or only in one or the
> other?
>
> Does the distance scale end at 20", or are there two half-inch marks
> beyond 20"? If the lens is metric, what is the closest focus?
>
> If you have any questions about these questions, please email me privatly.
>
> Thank you especially to those who responded the first time.
>
> If anyone participates in other discussion groups (on AOL or whatever) I
> would be very grateful if you would post this there, also. I will post it
> in the 35mm area on the Compuserve Photography forum.
>
> - Paul
Paul;

I am sending this info, but I don't think that it will be of much use.
I have had this particular DR Summicron since 1960, new (along with my
M-3, new in 1957).  I purchased a M-6 last year, kept it for two days,
and returned it to the dealer.  I just like my M-3 a lot better.

Anyway, here are the statistics on my DR:

SN:		1749743
Marking:	1:2/50
Use eyes?	yes
type:		early
bodies:		obviously works on my M-3, seemed to work on the M-6
force:		no excessive force required on either body
repro scales:	no
scale:		both english and metric
distance:	scale in english ends at 21", metric ends at .5 meters,
		actually mechanically rotates to what I would guess to 		be 20".

Regards,

Dave Stedman