Subject: Thugs are Stupid
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:02:23 -0400

At 04:57 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Steve Brauner wrote:
>I can understand Leica's desire to use the red dot for brand name
>recognition, but it certainly makes it easy for would/be thieves to spot the
>Leica quickly.

You folks really must live in areas with some high-quality thugs.  Hell, I
DEFEND these guys in Court, and I've yet to have a criminal client who knew
what in blazes a Leica was.  A 'camera', sure, they'll steal a 'camera' --
but they'd take a tinny P&S over a Leica any day of the week, as it looks
more expensive.  These guys are DUMB, or they wouldn't be street thieves.
They simply don't know the market, and the fences  are almost as
ill-informed.  A pawn shop might know the true value -- but, contrary to
their image, most pawn shops are honest operations.

Now, random violence against street photographers, sure, that's a
possibility.  But I doubt if more than 1% of our criminal element are as
brand-conscious as some seem to think.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!