Subject: Re: Contax G vs. Leica M
From: Richard Spira <richard.spira@chjs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:15:27 +0100

At 20:59 29/07/97 -0500, Chuck Warman wrote:

> [...]

Me too. In my case for about a week - too busy simply working through the
flood of interesting posts to contribute!

>keep in mind though, that I've owned an M3 but not an M4 or an M6.

Like you I'm an M3 owner, and had considered buying an M6. I compared it a
Contax G2 in the shop - and after much soul-searching decided on the G2.

Likes about the G2? Beautiful (IMO) external design, clean viewfinder,
shutter release feel, Leica-like care taken over design of lens hoods and
caps, speed and ease of the whole meter/focus/release process. (But maybe
that's because I've been using a Nikon 4S a lot recently :) )

Dislikes? It's honestly doesn't have quite the build quality of an Leica
M6, and falls well short of the M3's sheer hewn-from-solid precision.

I suppose my expectations of the M6 were too high. I thought it was
depressing to see the beautifully engraved serial number from the M3's top
plate relegated to a stamped-in impression on the M6's hot shoe guide
rails.  I disliked the designer-label red roundel on the top plate's front
(honestly, does Leica really have to stoop to this kind of snob and/or
magnet-to-muggers stuff?), and the subtle but irksome pieces of plastic.
But yes, I acknowledge that the current generation of Summicron lens will
be superior to my 1959  version. And the new camera is probably as tough.
It just doesn't feel like it.

So what if the Leica M3, M2, M4 had never existed?

I'd have bought the M6!

The Contax G2, at least to me, had no heritage to compromise. I know the
early Zeiss rangefinders were magnificent, but Contax is now a Japanese
brand name, with a very different philosophy from the original.  I think it
deserves support. And the Zeiss lenses (28, 45, 90) are really, really good.

My apologies to anyone in the LUG who feels I was badly mistaken.

Who knows? I may have been.

Richard

richard.spira@chjs.co.uk