Subject: RE: Leica Lens Combination
From: Tore Larsen <tore@cs.uit.no>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:22:07 +0200

Ken,

I have 35, 50 & 90 mm Summicrons (f2.0).

The 35 mm is real tiny, and gives a very neat package with the M6 body. I like
the focusing knob, some don't. My only real complaint with the 35 mm is that
night pictures of cityscapes have problems reproducing light sources toward the
edges. If I were buying lenses today I would like to go for the new 35 mm ASPH
Summicron. The 35/1.4 ASPH is also a great lens if you can afford it and can do
with the additional weight.

The 50 mm Summicron is a great lens. Particularly if you consider it's price. I
am now in a period where I'm using the 50 mm more often, challenging my earlier
tendency to go for the 35 mm. I only shoot for myself and my family and have
often gotten comments that the 50 mm shots come out more interesting than the
35 mm. I would definitely not be without the 35 mm though. My criticisms of the
50 mm are 1) a ridiculously small built-in shade, and 2) a lens cap that comes
off even in my bag. I would have preferred a non-integrated real shade, and
can't understand why Leica can't make a lens-cap that doesn't fall off.

I am very happy with the 90 mm. I've so far used the f 2.0 stop only for
limiting depth of field. The 90/2.8 is cheaper, lighter, and smaller. I think
I've read opinions that the 90/2.8 is possibly a slightly better lens than the
90 mm Summicron. The 2.8 lens would've made my gear come out significantly
lighter.

I would have liked to get a chance to try the Elmarit 24/2.8 ASPH and possibly
the Elmarit 21/2.8 for shooting architecture.

__
Tore