Subject: Re: M use
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:39:19 -0500

>EXACTLY!!! You get this softness to the background that people are just not
>used to seeing in daylight pics, only because of the instinct we all seem to
>have to go for a "fast enough" speed, and maximum DOF. How many times have
>you settled at 1/125 or 1/250 instead of a faster speed - just to get more
>DOF? It's burnt into us from the beginning! Stop down and make it ALL sharp.

Maybe because I learned to shoot while working for newspapers, but I
always used to shoot at the widest apperature to blow the background out.
 When I started shooting primarialy for a travel magazine, learning to
shoot at high depth of field was mind blowing to me.  I was thinking
along the lines "You mean there is an f-stop other than 2.8?"

Shooting wide open really makes your subject pop especially when shooting
long glass.  This gives you an image easily read in newsprint where you
have appx 10-30 seconds to grab a reader.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto