Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:08:11 -0700

>It appears to me, then, that the G2
>viewfinder has the advantage at 28 mm and 90 mm, the two focal lengths I'd
>use most.
>
>But that is not much more than a play-in-the-store-and-take-it-out-front-for-
>test-shots impression. Those of you who have had a chance to shoot with the
>M6 and G2 more extensively than I have: How correct or how far off is that
>impression?
>
>(And by the way, this will be the first message I've sent with a new e-mail
>system. If something goes wrong here, my sincerest appologies!)
>
>Larry

Your message came through perfectly.

You say that you prefer fast lenses. If you're shooting in low light then
the Leica viewfinder will be obviously brighter. In full daylight the
dimmer G2 finder isn't much of a hindrance.

Secondly, you can get a diopter for the Leica viewfinder so you don't need
to wear your glasses when shooting. Alternatively you could get an external
viewfinder for the 28mm lens on the Leica; some folks like this finder
better.

All of that said, if you want a G2 as a supplementary camera for situations
when you want autofocus, autoexposure, autobracketing, a motor drive,
double exposures, a flash sync that can handle daytime fill flash, or you
want to vary exposure in 1/3 stop increments then the G2 fits the bill
regardless of the differences in the finder.

If I had the money I would probably get a G2 and have the best of both worlds.

- -Charlie