Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:44:11 CDT

Larry,

>I do have a question for those who have shot with the M6 and G2
>concerning
>the viewfinders.

I had a G1 with the 45/2.0 lens.  I finally sold it as I didn't like the
viewfinder or the autofocus.  The viewfinder on the G1 blacked out  if
you didn't line up your eye quite right.  I understand this has been
improved on the G2, although I haven't tried one.

The autofocus stayed at infinity until you finally pushed the shutter,
which lead to small interval before finally focusing.  Since I used it
mostly for landscapes etc. it was only annoying for me.  I understand
this may have been improved in the G1  Focus for close ups drove me nuts
- - watching a couple of dots light up.

The lens was superb - I shot it with the M6 and 35/ASPH and could not
tell the slides apart on the light table with a 10x loupe.  The G1 was
consisitently better exposed than the M6, which was about 1/2 stop low.

Sorry this was not the G2, I thought seriously about the G2.  No contest
as to handling, lens choice, etc - M6.  The only thing was the exposure,
which was probably me with the M6.  For money the G2 is a real winner.

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK