Subject: Re: Lost Leica (was Thugs are Stupid)
From: "Richard C. Floyd" <103060.1511@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 02 Aug 97 15:53:30 EDT

Message text written by Ben Holmes

>>Hi LUGgers,
>
>>If there was no market for stolen equipment, then the number
>>of thefts would go way down.

Nahhh. I've had my Leicas taken from me, and it would not have mattered if
they had been Rikoh KR-10's with Kmart "Focal" glass. Cameras are high on
the list of fenceable (sp?) goods, regardless of the brand. Muggers are not
picky.

Regards,
Ben W. Holmes<

Geeeeez Ben, if you would just read my message more carefully you would see that
we agree.  I didn't say anything about Leica specific equipment being stolen.  I
said "stolen equipment".  By the very nature of your statement that "cameras are
high on the list of fenceable (sp?) goods" agrees completely with my statement
that if there was no market for stolen goods, then the number of thefts would go
down.

In other words, if nobody bought equipment that is obviously stolen, then the
likelyhood of us losing valuable gear would diminish.

Rick Floyd