Subject: Leica Quality
From: "Richard C. Floyd" <103060.1511@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Aug 97 08:55:21 EDT

Dear LUGs:

I guess I'm a little miffed when I hear the story about the quality and
turnaround time for Leica service.  I can fully understand ANY piece of
equipment needing service.  Even something only a few days in the users hands
MAY breakdown.  However, what I can't understand is having something serviced
that takes 3-12 weeks for repair.

I just wanted to relate a story about my Hasselblad 80 CF lens needing service.
One week before a major shoot, I discovered that my lens was not firing the
flash.  I called Hasselblad on that Friday and explained that I had a shoot
coming the following Saturday less than eight days away.  Was there anything
they could do for me?  They explained that the normal TAT was 2-3 weeks, but if
I sent it in, they would do everything they could.  I wasn't too concerned,
since my local dealer has stocks of Hasselblad rental equipment.

Anyway, I sent the lens and a back that had a small light leak off to Hasselblad
for Monday arrival.  (Only service I have needed on 14 year old equipment)  On
Thursday morning, the lens and back were delivered to my house!!!  Now that is
what I call service.

Someone asked how to increase sales without major investments?  Simply lower the
cost on lenses to their bare minimum and provide the most outstanding service in
the industry.  The camera sales will skyrocket.

Rick Floyd