Subject: Staying cool under the collar
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:27:50 -0600 (MDT)

Once again It's August! And, it is HOT here!

My wife and I just bought one of those super-duper high tech baby backpacks
to haul the Bean (Harrison) around in. We hiked the Mesa trail yesterday,
which BTW, is one of the most fabulous hikes you can imagine, and is just
1/4 mile from our home. Anyway, not to miss some pics, I toted just a 6 and
a 2/50 around my neck. As we were leaving I remembered previous hikes with
the Leica, and the horrible texture of the factory neckstrap. If you haven't
worn one in the heat you've missed out on one of the worst chaffings one can
endure.

On the way I stopped at the Boulder Surplus store and bought one of those
$1.39 blue paisley bandanas. I carefully rolled the cloth around the strap
and secured it with rubber bands. The result was to keep the rubber neck
peice off of my skin, making it a large measure more comfortable. It also
had the bonus of shielding my neck from the sun, and absorbing the sweat
from my skin. AND it doesn't look so bad either.

Has anybody ever seen a strap that was of cotton or terry cloth where it
contacts the neck?

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds are no longer available
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm