Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 00:35:43 -0400

>Thanks, Paul, for a good comparison of the construction of the two bodies.
>My question:  If electronic shutter and other components are cheaper *and*
>just as accurate *and* just as reliable *and* just as durable, why doesn't
>Leica make the switch?  What price should Leitz expect us to pay for
>battery-independence?

Chuck,

I never said that they are as reliable or as durable. I think that this
remains to be seen.

I do think that you would be able to repair an M6 practically forever. If
nothing else, a skilled machinist could make replacement parts. There is
already a small industry dedicated to keeping M-series bodies alive, and
I have no doubt that this will continue.

Many electronic components will finite lives. For instance, LCD panels
only last a decade or so, and will be difficult or impossible to replace
when the manufacturer stops supporting the product. Think about the
displays, motors, circuits, switches, ROMS, etc. Breakdowns on an M6 will
be pretty straightforward mechanical problems. If a G camera is acting
up, is the problem with one of the switches or sensors, or is it a faulty
ROM? Look at electronic cameras from the early 1980s--they are not that
old, but many can no longer be repaired.

Also, I bought an M6 because I wanted a metal-bodied, manual-focus,
manual-exposure, mechanical camera. I didn't WANT an auto, electronic
camera.

- - Paul