Subject: Re: Leica Quality
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 09:03:43 -0700

At 08:55 AM 8/3/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Dear LUGs:
>
>I guess I'm a little miffed when I hear the story about the quality and
>turnaround time for Leica service.  I can fully understand ANY piece of
>equipment needing service.  Even something only a few days in the users hands
>MAY breakdown.  However, what I can't understand is having something serviced
>that takes 3-12 weeks for repair.
>
>I just wanted to relate a story about my Hasselblad 80 CF lens needing
service.
>One week before a major shoot, I discovered that my lens was not firing the
>flash.  I called Hasselblad on that Friday and explained that I had a shoot
>coming the following Saturday less than eight days away.  Was there anything
>they could do for me?  They explained that the normal TAT was 2-3 weeks,
but if
>I sent it in, they would do everything they could.  I wasn't too concerned,
>since my local dealer has stocks of Hasselblad rental equipment.
>
>Anyway, I sent the lens and a back that had a small light leak off to
Hasselblad
>for Monday arrival.  (Only service I have needed on 14 year old equipment)
 On
>Thursday morning, the lens and back were delivered to my house!!!  Now
that is
>what I call service.
>
>Someone asked how to increase sales without major investments?  Simply
lower the
>cost on lenses to their bare minimum and provide the most outstanding
service in
>the industry.  The camera sales will skyrocket.
>
>Rick Floyd

Leica can and will preform the same service as mentioned above for
professional photographers. They have a loaner pool and will indeed
expedite service to meet professional deadlines. As I've mentioned earlier,
except for the frozen yogurt on my 135 R lens, I've never had any service
on my Leicas. However, I have friends who have made use of "emergency"
service, and I have used equipment out of their loaner pool over the years.

Any service organization cannot give expedited service to every service
order. If you are a legitimate professional photographer, making your
living via photography and use Leica equipment, Leica will do their very
best not let you down. Other situations can of course qualify.

Jim