Subject: Leica
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:53:40 +1000

> Hope this gives you a somewhat different perspective of how Leica
> does look
> after their Leica camera users, despite some of the whining in here
> of waiting
> months for servicing. :)

Well its time for a complete amateur to chime in as well. I first
encountered Leica in Hobart Tasmania. The shop was [now 13 years ago] and
is run by a fantastic man [and staff] -John Walch. Now I hope he doesn't
hear about this thread, because it may go to his head or indeed, he might
start putting up his prices, but his shop supplies quality equipment for
those travelling to the Antarctic, and the service is also great. John is
an enthusiast who seems to have started the shop to provide him with an
interest as well as an income, and he goes to great lengths to keep
customers happy. This is the type of person Leica attracts.

Anyway back then I was using Minolta gear, and Leica sent a sales rep. to
Tasmania. Why? I don't know, it cannot have been for the rageing sales
market, but there he was complete with all the gear. I spent at least an
hour and a half pawing over the equipment and discussing cameras, quality,
etc and in the end was offered a complete system [R4 I think] to take out
and trial against my Minoltas. I did every thing I could to compare the two
systems, and made over 50 b/w prints for John to separate into Rokkor V
Leitz. This he did with over 80% accuracy, and the Kodachromes of the
Tasmanian fishing boats in Consitution Dock made with the Leica remain some
of my favourite shots. Enlarged many years later and set against the many
Minolta shots in exotic places in my hallway, I kept coming over to the
Leica shots and smiling. Did Leica get a sale? Well no, I was convinced,
but not flush. I spent 6 months travelling Europe, returned to OZ and
bought a Minolta CLE and Leica M3. After years of using these little
beauties, I became convinced that the Minolta SLR gear had to go. Its still
with me, but I now use M6 Visoflex Rollei 3003 etc and sit in wait for a
big trade in day. I also wish I'd had that Leica glass in Europe :-(

Oh BTW the M3 DS has been faultless and I've never serviced it. I am
beginning to realize, that I should look after these cameras a bit better
than I'm used to. We all live and learn.  Leica has been good to me so far.
I love my Noctilux to death, but RF's are not for my wife, and unless I'm
to have 2 or 3 or 4 systems in the house, the SLR may yet have to be more
"sensible". Dear Mr Rollei, are you out there designing a new 35mm
autofocus gem which will take my Zeiss glass and Rollei film backs? Now
that would be heaven :-), but I fear Mr Canon will get a look in somewhere!

Alastair Firkin