Subject: Re: Leica and Heat
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 3:50 GMT0

Mike Leitheiser writes:

> What are the upward limits of acceptable temperatures?  At what
range is
> abuse rather than use coming into play?  How do you handle these
> conditions
> to minimize any potential equipment damage?

I don't have any quantitative figures, principally because they're
not a great deal of use in practice. What is one to do if the maximum
temperature is exceeded, call in CAS to seed the clouds? :-)

However I try to keep the kit away from direct sunlight, and never
leave it in a closed vehicle. I think the one time I had serious
problems with oil seepage in two lenses was when I'd left them in a
car in the South of France. Of course if you're going to use the kit
in sunny places on a regular basis, then chrome bodies will fare
better than black ones.

Also remember that the oil can damage the coating on glass surfaces,
if it starts to seep out from where it ought to be, keep the lens in
the refrigerator on your return to civilisation, and until you can
get it to the repairer. This will stop the oil travelling any
further.