Subject: Re: Leica Quality
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:58:38 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
> Subject: Re: Leica Quality
> >Jim Brick wrote:
> ><<<If you are a legitimate professional photographer, making your
> >living via photography and use Leica equipment, Leica will do their very
> >best not let you down. Other situations can of course qualify.>>>>>
> >
> >Jim,
> >
> >this has been the same for me over the years when something needed fixing. I
> >courier the broken part, usually due to my carelessness and if it can be
> >repaired it's done and back courier ASP. Or if they can't turn it around
> >within
> >24 to 36 hours, I've got a loaner from the "pool" gear.
> >
> >ted
>
> Hi Ted,
>
> I am a "legitimate professional photographer" (not working as - but...) and
> I have a complete different experience with the Leica service. I anything
> on my Leica needs fixing - I had to say goodbye to the camera for 1-3 month
> since this happend three times to me - my M6 was "on holiday" for nearly a
> year...
>
> Maybe the service here in Germany is different...?!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Detlef

The service in Helsinki has some back-up gear. I've used it but once I
realized their service standards how could I trust this other equipment
was in good working order? Better to use your own. At least you know
that it is all right even if isn't quite as suitable for the project at
hand.

Solms has a long way to go. Just an example. While they of course
charge a great deal for the repair, overnight shipping from the
service rep. to Solms is not included. Neither does the factory service
get prepared upon a fax from the importer's service dept. indicating
what kind of equipment is coming in. So basically it seems to be one
week mailing gear in, one month sitting in the factory queue, one
day work (typically less), one week mailing back.

This is why I in my earlier post mentioned that people who have the
possiblity, should really cultivate a relationship with a good local
Leica mechanic. For the factory you are a nobody and the loaner gear
is nobody's gear as well.

Regards,

Kari