Subject: Alex Webb
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:57:30 +0300 (EET DST)

While mostly shooting black and white I sometimes stop and study
a bit color to see if I should try it seriously. If I could capture
something worthwhile with it.

So here is a Leica photographer, probably well known for many of you.
Shoots exclusively in color and has a distinctive style I think.
A style that I cannot quite figure out. Streetscenes rendered boldly
under an intense sun. Large colorpatches often being the main visual
elements dominating the people or the pieces of them visible. Bits of
life here and there. Its chaos, its absurdity, with some order and
rythm through composition. Uses M and I'm quite sure none could capture
those scenes with anything else than a rangefinder. You just have to
see it all. And be there and blindingly fast when things come together.

Sometimes I think that he is a genius, sometimes I think that he is
just a juvenile with an expensive camera. At times that he takes the
"decisive moment" to a new level but then feel that he trivializes
life and takes it's dignity away. Great BW never seems to do that.

What do you think? I don't mean intellectually. Rather, does this stuff
move you? Do you remember these images afterwards or just the BW?

Regards,

Kari