Subject: Leica quality - failing R equipment
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:01:44 +0200

Hello folks:

Thanks to all who reacted to my earlier posting on the hard-focussing
Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8.

I must be VERY unlucky, as most of the Leica R gear I purchased between May
and July has serious flaws:

- - my R8 body is a fantastic photo-capturing device, but its back won't
close any longer when you have put a new film inside. You have to manually
press the opening button down to make it close (normally the back should
click back into closing position when you press on it). Also, I have
sometimes experienced strange indications on the back LCD display (Chinese
to me) instead of an indication of the frame number. Although the
indications in the viewfinder function correctly, the back LCD seems to be
sometimes confused (I am sure this is not due to dust on the electrical
contacts on the back).
- - the Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 has the problem I already mentioned in an
earlier posting: it won't focus smoothly from 5m to infinity, it becomes so
hard to turn the focussing ring that correct focussing is difficult.
- - the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 has dust and a small hair pressed inside the
lens elements (must have happened during lens pressing & manufacturing).
Also, when the lens is not mounted on a body, the focussing ring blocks at
random on any given lens opening when you turn from the minimum distance up
to infinity and vice versa. You feel some resistance inside the lens when
turn the focussing ring, and if you decide to push further, it feels as if
something has been forced. Strange thing that this does not appear to be
happening once the lens is mounted on the body.

Everything went back to Leica just some days ago, together with full
description of the problems. My dealer has acknowledged the problems and,
happily, is supporting me. We'll have to wait and see how Leica is reacting
to all these things.
I have asked for replacement of both lenses, as they show serious
construction flaws. Wonder what will be the decision on the R8 body.

So it appears my belief in Leica is seriously tested...:-)

I will let the group know of the outcome!

Pascal
Belgium

P.S. My Leica Pradovit P150 slide projector also went back because the AF
functions have ceased to function... Speaking of a lucky week :-)

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook