Subject: Re: Where Angels Fear To Tread
From: Shawn London <st942432@pip.cc.brandeis.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 97 01:20:35 -0400

Jim Brick, jim@brick.org wrote:

>But Shawn, you seemed a little blunt in you're response. Was that
>necessary? We are all friends. We all know how it works. Punching Fred in
>the nose wasn't necessary. Fred has a very valid point. Perhaps you should
>re-read Fred's last sentence...
>
>"If we all would be a bit more careful, the list will be a great deal
>more interesting and efficient.

We are definitely all friends.  However, you cannot have your cake and
eat it to when it comes to the LUG.  You have to put up with the fact
that there are going to be some posts you don't want to read and
subsequently delete them.  We cannot get along as a group if there are
going to be people who are not going to take a mature attitude towards
choosing what they read and delete (as you do, Jim) and try to act as an
impromptu moderator by discouraging LUGers from continuing many
interesting and productive threads simply because they have no personal
interest in those topics.  I realize that many people have no more
interest in Contax G cameras than I do R cameras.  Both subjects are
similarly off-topic if you consider this a Leica M group by the purist
definition.  However, judging from the amount of traffic they generate,
they are certainly worthwhile topics.

The LUG is a rare and wonderful place in that it has fostered an
intelligent forum for serious, honest discussion, which is, sadly, all
too rare on the internet these days.  Let's take a hint from the
laissez-faire management attitude of the list administrator and let the
LUGers choose the topics.