Subject: Re: Where Angels Fear To Tread
From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:52:56 +0200

Hi Eric,

>     * Take a moment to realize that you are about to send your
>message to hundreds of people: why would they want to read it?
>(Consider the list's statement of purpose; common sense; etc.)

maybe you think about your own statement - is this list realy the place to
talk about how to deal with mailing-list? There are thousends of "how-to"
articles all over the net. Now you demand "Perhaps the list manager could
simply post a set of such guidelines every couple of months as a gentle
reminder." - but what you are looking for is a regulated but dead list. IMO
there is no need for additional guidelines. Why behave like a teacher
instead of helping like a friend?

The LUG is very active and so there are a lot of mails comming in. With a
good mail-software like Eudora (Netscape will release a Browser-only
Communicator in the next weeks - I don't like those "all in one" solutions)
you can easily build up filters to catch all the LUG msgs...

Cheers,

Detlef

  Detlef Beyer * Scharnhorststr. 7 * 50733 Cologne * Germany
       phone: 49.221.93 18 700 * fax: 49.221.32 42 45

                  e-mail: d.beyer@hermes.de

      URLs: http://www.hermes.de/priv/detpriv/detbey.html
            http://www.hermes.de/KITE/