Subject: NOVAR: OFF-TOPIC
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 02:23:11 -0400

At 12:47 PM 8/6/97 +1000, Rob. wrote:
>Having said that, some of my favourite images are ones I have taken with
>this lens.  It may be a Zeiss 'dud' but it does something for me and I
>cannot slander its glorious name.

Harumph.  The Novar is a ZEISS IKON lens, not a Zeiss lens.  It is the
Zeiss Ikon brand-name used on third-party lenses purchased by Zeiss Ikon.
These were generally made by Steinheil, Schneider, or Voigtlander before
the War, and by Steinheil, Voigtlander, or Hensoldt thereafter.

And Zeiss Ikon is NOT Zeiss.  The Zeiss lensworks and the Zeiss Ikon camera
works were related in corporate structure, but the two were never identical.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315