Subject: Lightmeters and Pools
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 15:09:02 -0600

LUGs,

There was a discussion on this forum about the accuracy of the M6
lightmeter. In my opinion, the M6 metering system is superb. Furthermore, I
use it as a standard to calibrate all of my other meters. However, there are
situations in which the use of built-in and hand-held meters just gets in
the way.

Consider, for example, trying to meter at high noon in California while your
daughter is swimming in the pool. Not a cloud in the sky. In such
situations, it is better to use the sunny-16 rule. Taking photos in this
old-fashioned way is just so much more fun. I wish I had an M3. No
lightmeter and better viewfinder for use with the 90mm Tele-Elmarit. (I
don't dare to use my 50mm Summicron for fear of getting it wet. Chlorine and
brass don't mix.)

BTW, I wonder what an AF and AE vunderplastick camera would do in this
situation. I probably would not trust its "fire-and-forget" capabilities at
all. This would spoil all the fun of taking photos.

Best of Light,

Chris