Subject: Re: Fill Flash with Metz & M6
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:39:21 CDT

Kermit,

>now; I would replace that with a fancier Metz).  Does anyone have
>experience with this M6/sophisticated-Metz combination?  I'm trying to
>get
>a sense of whether I'll miss TTL too much.  I don't do a lot of flash
>photography, and when I do I like to not have to think about it too
>much.
>I realize the M6/Metz combination will require more thought, but if it
>isn't too bothersome and the results are pretty reliable and good,
>then I'm

I had an R7 and M6 with the 40MZ-2 flash which I used on the R7.  There
is no TTL flash control on the M6 merely 1/60 flash sync.  I don't think
you can automatically set fill flash on the 40MZ (or other MZs) for the
M6, and the flash sync on the M6 is too slow for fill flash outside.

Say you want to fill flash outside in the sunlight and the correct
setting for the flash at the distance is f/8.  Using a three to one
lighting ratio with the sun as main source close the  lens to f/11, which
will produce underexposure of one f stop.  Take a meter (incident)
reading of the sunlight to determine the shutter speed when using f/11.
This might well be 1/125 or higher.

Can't do it on the M6 as the sync speed is 1/60th

The only flash for the M6 in MHO is the simplest you can get.  The
40MZ-2, and now 3 work great on the R7 and R8 cameras with the SCA 300
and SCA 3000 Metz units

My math may be off on this, it is one reason I got the R8 - set it and
let the camera do it.  As I recall it may even be easier on the F4 or F5
of Nikon and the SB 26 (?) flash units.

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK