Subject: Re: Off topic/medium format advice
From: newport_m@utpb.edu (Mark Newport)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 08:10:58 -0700

>Dear luggers:
>
>Although I love my M6's & 2's, I'm looking to get into some magazine work
>(which use primarily 6 x 7 format) & have narrowed my choices to purchasing a
>Pentax 6 x 7 or Mamiya 7. I like the idea of the Mamiya rangefinder (light,
>quiet, etc.) but it does have it's limitations. (close up work) I've actually
>considered one of both Any thoughts? Have any of you used either
>camera?Thanks
>Frederic

I have a friend who uses a Mamiya 6 (the "7" may be improved) for weddings
and general location work.  He likes the ease of handling and the optics.
What he has problems with is the meter.  It seems the meter cell is mounted
on the front of the camera and has sun/shade problems.  He says it is ok
for neg film but not accurate enough for chromes. He prefers this camera
over his Hasselblads for some location jobs. Another thing he has
complained about is that the camera goes through batteries like crazy
(those hard to find button cell types).  All in all he is happy with it.

Mark