Subject: Re: M-135 differences
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 09:35:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Group -

In LHSA Viewfinder, Vol. 30, No. 2, Dick Gilcreast reveals the optical
virtues of the old Hektor 135/4.5.  It appears that most people are unaware
of this optic's stunning performance at smaller apertures and for macro use.
The factors that seem to argue against it's use are: 1) it is NOT of
telephoto construction and is, thus, longer than a lens that is;  2) at
f/4.5, it is no speed deamon and; 3)  the later 135 f/4 Tele-Elmar-M's image
quality is better at f/4 than the Hektor at f/4.5.

It seems that Leica, when speaking of improvements in optical quality, is
most often referring to image quality wide open.  Indeed, superb imaging at
the largest maximum aperture of virtually any Leica lens has been a Leica
hallmark over the years.  For my, and many other users, purposes, such use
may not be consistent with our photographic style.  In those cases where a
long M lens is needed and one will primarily shoot at middle or tight
apertures (landscapes), the 135 Hektor cannot be beat - period.  I owned a
135 Tele-Elmar-M of current construction, and was quite diappointed with the
image quality compared to the Hektor.  I had read all of that APO stuff,
too, and couldn't understand why my non-APO Hektor gave better performance
for me.  I believe that the APO performance of the Tele-Elmar-M refers to
wide open use rather than use at smaller apertures.

I also own and use a 135 Elmarit 2.8 for my Leicaflex.  The performance is
superb and in the R incarnation balances better than the same lens on an M
body (IMHO).

Curt

>dbledsoe wrote:
>Please let us know, Don. My 135 TeleElmarit has been my biggest Leica
>disappointment. Even at middle apertures on a tripod with Velvia, images
>remind me of an early zoom lens I used years ago on a Ricoh Singlex. The
>glass is perfect and nothing rattles - has anyone else had experience with
>poor images and had Leica or other repair fix the poor performance?
>
>Gary Todoroff

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Birding with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club or
             Women Outdoors at http://members.aol.com/womenout/index.htm

Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood