Subject: Re: Motors vs. Winders
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 10:26:19 -0700

At 08:56 AM 8/8/97 -0400, Richard Clompus wrote:

>If I was going to get a motor for the R 6.2, would fellow LUGers recommend
>the winder or the motor?  Since I plan to use it for along time, the cost
>difference between the two is not significant.  I do not have to take lots
>of action shots but do use the camera on a copy stand a lot for macro work.

I use a Motor R4 on my R6.2 for macro work.  I bought it second-hand; it had
been advertised as a winder and turned out to be a motor.  I occasionally
leave it on the camera when I take non-macro photographs, because the
handgrip feels good and it's nice not to have to wind on the next frame.
I probably also leave it on because the Motor R4 has a design flaw that you
would be well-advised to avoid: the handgrip interferes with the attachment
of a strap to the body.  You have to attach it to the motor handgrip.  This
means that attaching and removing the handgrip from the body takes a minute
and a half or so and is generally a pain in the butt.  I understand that the
Motor R does not have this design flaw.

I wouldn't care about this if I felt I needed the drive in normal shooting,
but I don't -- I really prefer it only for macro, where winding a frame
manually can move the camera around and mess up framing.

Incidentally, I have never felt I needed 4fps.  I'd happily trade my Motor R4
with its 4fps drive for a Winder R with its more-easily-removed handgrip.