Subject: Where Angels Fear to Tread
From: Eric Meyer <74415.1305@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 Aug 97 14:07:22 EDT

To:  >INTERNET:Leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Detlef,

 >> if you ever like to write in german I'm proud to assist you too.

     Hilfe wuerde ich vielmehr als Sie brauchen -- ich finde nur
wenige Gelegenheiten, die Sprache zu ueben.

 >> Shouldn't you be more sensible with the word "fascist"?

     Possibly you missed the element of satire in this
characterization of your distortion of my suggestions.

All,

     When I subscribed to this list, I read: "This list is intended
to be used by people who take photographs with Leica and other
rangefinder cameras."  While that doesn't prescribe exactly what
they have to talk about, I do find it suggestive.  I received 50+
messages just overnight, and wondered how there could be such a
volume of interesting traffic; I soon realized there isn't.  I have
come across a smattering of useful information on Leica lenses, but
typical highlights (by volume) of the past few weeks have been:

     A USED CAMERA RETURNED as unsatisfactory!  Who has not had this
experience?  Why are all the details and related mudslinging of
interest to anyone else?

     LENS CLEANING!  Reams of messages on solvents, skivvies, wiping
techniques.  Someone asks for information on some peel-off product,
and instantly a dozen redundant messages are posted, without simply
waiting to hear from someone who actually knew where to get it or
had used it.

     AE-vs-MANUAL WARS!  Honestly, I thought people had decided long
ago which suited their individual styles, and figured out that it
isn't really a productive argument.  Surely it would just be nice if
Leica came out with an AE-M too, and people had a choice?

     WHO'S ENTITLED TO PRIORITY SERVICE AT LEICA?  Doesn't it just
make your blood boil...

     Of course I could continue to wade through all this if I had
more time, but I don't.  I truly don't see why some people find the
notion of keeping a list _topical_ and _efficient_ so constraining;
some lists clearly manage this, others don't.  I'd like to see this
list do so, but otherwise I'm willing to leave it to those who are just
out to kick back and chat.  Sorry if I've offended anyone while
I was here; I'm certainly no "angel".

                                 --  Eric Meyer.