Subject: Re: 35mm vs. MF and Motors, Winders, Handgrips, & Tripods
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Aug 97 15:23:59 EDT

Ken wrote:

<<<Any experience from Luggers on selling M6 enlargements to galleries?
How well are they received.  Does the Medium and Large format snobbery set in
and prevent serious consideration for those 35mm prints?  Is there more
preference for sharpness over the capture of light in unique ways that is
preferred?>>>>>

Hi Ken,

I guess in some circles the "art aspect of larger film" plays a role in the
purchase of a print over the quality of the "light/content of image in
photograph."

However I think this is hardly a big deal if the photographer has the kind of
pictures the Gallery wish to purchase or hang. If one were to say, HCB's work
wouldn't hang in the finest art galleries of the world because it lacks the
quality of medium format or larger film, the person in question would probably
be examined for mental stability.

The Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography which is within the National Art
Gallery of Canada, purchase photographs for the overall quality of print &
content regardless of whether it is 8X10 negs or 35mm. Obviously there still
must be a very high quality, regardless of 35mm or not.

They have a complete exhibition of B&W 16X20's from my book,
         "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler."

The prints are all from 35mm negatives and can stand some heavy duty scrutiny
for quality of light/printing and content. And the question of film size never
entered the conversation nor decision to purchase for the gallery.

<<<Does the Medium and Large format snobbery set in and prevent serious
consideration for those 35mm prints?>>>>>

Not that I have encountered. However I'm sure it plays a role in the mindset of
those looking for "technically correct" prints with no content. This kind of
print illustrates the artist/photographers ability as a great technician, but
not necessarily an equal ability to capture an equally great photograph in
content.

There are wonderful fine art photographers who make stunning images of equal
interest in both print quality and content.

Then there are those who know how to produce the finest looking prints
imaginable, but it is "just rock and ferns and peeling paint!:)

I better get out of here before I get nuked! :)

ted