Subject: Re: Anyone Using a Monopod?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:55:16 -0800

Richard Clompus wrote:
> Has anyone used the new carbon fiber monopod by Gitzo?  It would seem to be
> very light with a small ball and head socket on the end.  I wonder if you
snip
> I wonder if a light weight monopod is the compromise most photographers
> need for outdoor work.

Richard,
Just carried the Gitzo smallest Mountaineer on a 40+ mile backpack and I
can tell you it has changed my working habits.  I have a Foba ball head
(small) with quick release and have QR plates from Really Right Stuff
for all the cameras now (including for M2).

I have one of those large velcro cord wraps on one leg.  It is big
enough to wrap all the legs together for carrying or to create a nice
lightweight monopod with one leg extended.

It has little internal-weight stability, so usually it is good to hang a
camera bag from it.

Now I'd like to trade up to a huge studio Gitzo and a giant Bogen for
one of the new large Gitzo Carbon Fibers (which are pushing US$1000).

I first used my Carbon Fiber conveted to monopod shooting the last
Republican Convention and shot with 300 regularily at 1/30 with now
problems.   At higher shutter speeds there is certainly some gin in
sharpness, but it also just makes it easier to hold the weight.

Donal
Portland, Oregon (temporarily)