Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 10:36:28 -0800

Larry Kopitnik wrote:

> I've been reading with interest the recent comments on the Contax G2.
> Because since deciding not to replace my Nikon system with a Leica M6, I've
> been looking at complemeting it with a smaller camera.
(SNIP)
> the G2 is a very real consideration.
 Those of you who have had a chance to shoot with the
> M6 and G2 more extensively than I have: How correct or how far off is that
> impression?

Larry,
The real concern with the Gs is the operation.  The focus is really a
bother, just not the same as the M.  The touch of the shutter button is
wrong and half the time when trying to fucus, you trip the shutter.
Just not at all the same in operation.  I would try to borrow or rent
both as see which works best for the kind of pix you do.  If you scenic
snaps, the G should be fine.  If people and movement and waiting for the
decisive moment, get the M.

I'm about to take a friend's G1 and three lenses on a 40 mile backpack
to save some weight.  The Gito mountaineer tripod and small Foba ball
head weighs more than the camera system!

Donal Philby
Forks, WA (near Olympic National Park)