Subject: Re: M6 meter - Question to all Luggers
From: Roberto Giaccio <giaccio@dis.uniroma1.it>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:20:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Sorry for the very (very, very) long delay in answering this post.

I have a M6,  serial #1741778 (1988).
In May 1996 the exposure meter stopped working properly:
it didn't switch off after 10 seconds, and even if not pressed
the leds were slightly visible, draining battery current.
The problem was not due to half-pressed shutter  button,
but due to the exposure meter circuit.
A solution to this problem that has been suggested on the LUG
is to set the shutter speed to B, but it was not practical, since
I had to always keep the shutter speed to B, otherwise
batteries will be empty after a few hours of use, even without
touching the shutter button, and I use to set exposure and take
pictures until light condition changes.
So I send the camera to the Italian Leica representative, which
substituted the exposure meter and did a CLA for about $250, shipping
included. The current meter is the latest one, with blinking leds,
whether the old one was the previous model.
All took about 6 weeks, which in my opinion is too much.

Tell me if you need further (faster) information.

                Roberto Giaccio
                University of Rome