Subject: later looks
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 97 05:20:16 -0700

> Guido - you have just described my life! I cannot count how many
> times I've
> printed til the wee hours, washed, dried and spotted my prints, and
> walked
> away loving the results. Next day, I look at them again, and I like
> them.
> About a week later I hate them.

Ben in some ways I find the opposite. Usually the film is returned soon
after the project is finished. In my mind's eye, I have an expectation of
the effects I was trying to achieve and usually the first viewing falls
well below that. Then a year later I return to the images and find in some
of them the original spark that made me take the photo. Sometimes its not
till someone else sees the image and comments on that spark, that I realize
that occasionally you get a hit, but in the first viewing its always hard.
Now the darkroom is a bit different to chromes or processed prints, and I
agree that the image never looks good the next morning, [but who does?]
then again 12/12 down the track some of the magic may return ;-)

Alastair Firkin