Subject: Re: Discards
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Aug 97 22:47:52 EDT

Alastair Firkin wrote:

<<I think Andrew is expressing the real frustration lots of us amateurs have. It
always seems to be the best negative that cops the scratch at the lab.>>>>>

Hi Alastair,

I believe we are reading this differently.

I took him to be making a facetious comment about the value of making selections
and the value of keeping negs/trans. in relation to how many were the keepers
out of any shoot.

It seemed he was not taking this serious and I didn't read that he was talking
about the lab at all.

Besides if I look at your comment:    <<<It always seems to be the best negative
that cops the scratch at the lab.>>>>>

I see this as you meaning this only occurs to the amateur folks, when in reality
the professionals are no better off. Only in our case we stand to loose our
livelihood when this occurs. And that doesn't matter whether it is KODAK/ FUJI
or your best super local professional or amateur lab.

<<<I think he's saying "no matter how I try, the best shots seem to come out as
if I'd done the above".>>>

This is your reading of what he meant and mine was some what different. I guess
the only way to understand exactly what he was saying is to hear him explain it
in a fashion that is clear and concise, rather than our interpretations of what
we thought he meant.

So maybe Andrew, please come back in here and give us a better understanding of
just what you meant. Andrew try and clear this up before we have umpteen dozen
postings meaning nothing in relation to what you first posted.

Was it serious or was if facetious?  Thankyou,

ted