Subject: Re: What's Your Failure Rate?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:27:49 -0800

ROB HEYMAN wrote:
 Anyone have other suggestion for long exposures on the run?

Maybe this is too basic for here, but I am always amazed at seeing even
professional photographers holding cameras in less than stable position.

In my experience, left hand under lens, right on shutter side and both
elbows tucked in tightly, feet a bit apart and everythings solid but not
tense.  I see people with left elbow out, hand on top of lens to focus
and really wonder.

Look at Bill Allard's work--K64 and 1/impossible sec.  I've edited his
raw film and saw lots and lots of blurrs--and then a gem.  No one does
low light color like Bill Allard.  Back to failure rate.  Allow yourself
to fail.  Relax.  Ride the edge.

Anyway, with above recommended position and practice, 1/8 and 1/4 second
posible with Ms, especially if you shoot a lot and look for the good
one.  And use a soft release button, if possible.  (apparently Nikon's
for f3 works on M--recommendation from Luis Castenada who says the most
important advantage of the R8 is less vibration from mirror.)

The best solution is a gyro, but they make a lot of noise.  I do think
Canon is on to something with their stabilizer lenses.  They just
weren't too bright producing pro-oriented lens that is too slow.  But
someday.....

Imagine a 35 f/1.4 and a stabilizer??

Donal Philby
San Diego