Subject: Re: Storing Images
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:09:27 -0700

At 09:25 PM 8/16/97 -0400, Dan Cardish wrote:

>Do you think that 200 years from now people will have technology that can
>read your CDs?  Can you read an 8 inch floppy that was made maybe 10 years
>ago?   Or even a 5 1/4 floppy?

People making this argument tend to forget that CD's and 8 inch floppies
are very different, because very, very few 8 inch floppies were made.  Even
so, one can still find businesses that will recover data from 8 inch
floppies for a price.  5 1/4 inch floppies were tremendously more rare than
CD's, but I have a working 5 1/4 inch drive and so do lots of other people.
 As for CD's, barring some sort of catastrophe, I fully expect them to be
readable 200 years from now.  Billions of CDs have been made.  It's likely
that people will still be interested in things recorded on them in 200
years and will be willing to pay to read them.  Therefore, barring some
catastrophe, a means of reading them will still exist.

In any case, Michael only needs to be able to read his CD's until the next
form of archival storage comes along -- by then he'll probably be able to
transfer hundreds of them to a single device.