Subject: Re: Storing Images
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:11:20 -0400

I don't think the question is if CDs will be readable in 200 years, OR if
CD recorded and images can be "upgraded" to better storage means but rather
WILL it be done.

My guess is that it will be done for FAMOUS images or for WELL KNOWN
photographer's work, but what about the everyday images that we don't think
much about now, but might be treasured at a later time. Did you ever help
clean out the great grandparents house after they died and find old
photographs "filed" in the back of closet or in the attic. These photos may
have meant little to the original owners but my be quite valuable to new
"finders" Would _these_ images have been transferred to new storage means?

If they were not prints but (in the future) Kodak CDs, would the finders go
to the considerable expense of converting them? Perhaps you of I would, but
what about the "average" person?

Archive your images on Kodachrome of well printed black and white prints!

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                              <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>